ADAMS/LINCOLN ANNEX SCHOOL
NW corner of Cleveland Street and McKinley Avenue | Architects: William T. Bray and Carl E. Nystrom | Built: 1908 | Lost: 1951
At the turn of the 20th century, the Eveleth School District erected three schools within ten years for the north side of town alone. The Adams Kindergarten was built west of present-day Northside Park circa 1903. Next came the more substantial Adams School, built in 1908 on the corner of McKinley Avenue and Cleveland Street. (The School Board initially planned on building the new school across Lincoln Avenue from the Adams Kindergarten.) The brick schoolhouse had six classrooms and cost $42,500. By 1910, 273 students were enrolled at the Adams, prompting the School Board to plan for an additional grade school for that section of town. To temporarily alleviate the overcrowding at the Adams, wooden "portable schoolhouses" were erected on the school grounds. The Lincoln School opened in January 1913, and the Adams was renamed the Lincoln Annex. It closed in 1939 and was demolished 12 years later.