School campus between Fayal and Elba Avenues | Architects: William T. Bray and Carl E. Nystrom | Built: 1922-23
In addition to grade classrooms, the Franklin originally contained the art, domestic science, and music departments. In fact, before an official name was chosen, it was referred to as the Grade and Girls' Vocational School. For many years, out-of-town students attended the Franklin, while in-town students attended either the Franklin or the Fayal. It was connected to the senior high in 1992, and a major renovation project in 1997 modernized the building. During that project, drop ceilings were installed, new restrooms were built, a new kitchen was added, and classrooms received new carpeting, cabinets, and sinks. In 2014, the 40-year-old windows were replaced with ones that closely replicated the original windows pictured here. The Franklin currently houses all K–4 students in the district.