Minnesota To Furnish Iron
Six of Every Ten Shells Used By
Allies Made From Minnesota Iron
Remarkable Record Last Season
Duluth, Dec. 12.—Six out of every ten shells hurled against the Huns on all battle fronts will be made from iron ore mined in northeastern Minnesota, the most remarkable shipping season for which closed today with the departure of the last ore boat for the lower lake ports. Held back at least two months by the ice in Lake Superior and cut short two weeks by the beginning of winter, the patriotic miners of Northeastern Minnesota have bent all their efforts to getting out iron ore and the shipping season shows that the 1917 totals will fall less than a million tons below the record breaking 1916 shipments. The totals this year are 15,360,760.
"Two thirds of the iron ore mined in the world has come out of Minnesota this year and more than two thirds of that used by the allies. The mining men of this section are particularly proud of their record this year by reason of the fact that despite the industrial unrest in every section, leading to strikes and disturbances in practically every mining region of the country. Minnesota has been singularly free from any such agitation. One attempt was made by the I.W.W. to incite a strike and the workmen returned immediately to work without shutting down the mine in which the disturbance occurred for a single hour. Thirty-six hours was the longest any such disturbance lasted on the Mesaba range.
In addition, this section of Minnesota oversubscribed both liberty loans, the last by one hundred per cent, sent almost double its quota of volunteers to the army and navy, more than double the number of Red Cross memberships allotted to it and contributed one hundred per cent over its Y.M.C.A. quota, as well as considerably over subscribing to the amount of the Red Cross quota allotted to it.Duluth, Dec. 12.—Six out of every ten shells hurled against the Huns on all battle fronts will be made from iron ore mined in northeastern Minnesota, the most remarkable shipping season for which closed today with the departure of the last ore boat for the lower lake ports. Held back at least two months by the ice in Lake Superior and cut short two weeks by the beginning of winter, the patriotic miners of Northeastern Minnesota have bent all their efforts to getting out iron ore and the shipping season shows that the 1917 totals will fall less than a million tons below the record breaking 1916 shipments. The totals this year are 15,360,760.
Two thirds of the iron ore mined in the world has come out of Minnesota this year and more than two thirds of that used by the allies. The mining men of this section are particularly proud of their record this year by reason of the fact that despite the industrial unrest in every section, leading to strikes and disturbances in practically every mining region of the country. Minnesota has been singularly free from any such agitation. One attempt was made by the I.W.W. to incite a strike and the workmen returned immediately to work without shutting down the mine in which the disturbance occurred for a single hour. Thirty-six hours was the longest any such disturbance lasted on the Mesaba range.
In addition, this section of Minnesota oversubscribed both liberty loans, the last by one hundred per cent, sent almost double its quota of volunteers to the army and navy, more than double the number of Red Cross memberships allotted to it and contributed one hundred per cent over its Y.M.C.A. quota, as well as considerably over subscribing to the amount of the Red Cross quota allotted to it.
--Eveleth Clarion, December 12, 1917
In 1899, the Minnesota Iron Company built a hospital for its employees at the Fayal, Genoa, and Auburn Mines. It was located on the corner of Fayal Road and Fayal Avenue. The superintendent of the Fayal at this time G. W. Wallace, and Dr. H. E. Harwood was the company doctor. Dr. Frederick Barret assisted at the hospital. The newly built hospital was very modern for its day. It had a spacious reception room and office, modern operating and drug rooms, and a basement with a kitchen, dining room, and nurses quarters.
The first floor had a ward for men and a ward for women. The second floor had apartments for the steward and the assisting physician.
The building later became the Fayal Apartments. On Sunday, September 6, 1964, the building, which had been empty for several years, was burned. The rest of the former Fabiola Hospital was torn down and in 1967 was divided into lots and sold. The first home to be built there was for the William Bonach family.
Sources: History of Eveleth, Minnesota by Margaret More and the souvenir booklet for Eveleth's 75th Anniverary
Eveleth News November 28, 1912:
In the immensity of its productions, the beauty of its design and the magnificence and appropriateness of its furnishings, the new Eveleth Auditorium surpasses the expectations of even the most imaginative people. Such was the unanimous expressions of the immense crowd that congregated at the new building Friday night in response to the invitation of the City Council announcing the formal opening.
The auditorium seats about 1,000 people. Every seat was occupied and almost as many people stood in the aisles and corridors while the program was begun and carried out.
The history of the Eveleth Auditorium rightly commences in April 1908, when a militia company was organized. The city Council guaranteed the state that they would provide a suitable building for the company. The Vail Hall on Grant Avenue has been rented for that purpose up to the present time at a rental of $720 per year.
In the year 1911 the State Legislature passed a law appropriating $10,000 toward the erection of an armory to any city or town that would furnish a suitable site and guarantee $1,000 for the support of the militia. The city Council decided to take advantage of the new law and purchased the lot upon which this building now stands at a price of $3,400. The deed was presented to the state, together with an order for $1000.00. But it was later learned that the state could not accept the deed owing to the mineral reservation. The Council decided the city was in need of an Armory and a public hall where public meetings and gatherings could be held, and decided to build the same without the aid of the state. Plans were called for and the one of Architect Anthony Puck of Duluth, was selected as the one nearest meeting the requirements of the city. Bids for the erection of the building were opened on April 3, 1912, and one of A. Roberts & Sons for the amount of $22,450 was accepted.
The front part of the building has been arranged to provide accommodations for the militia boys as well as those who attend gatherings of any nature. On the first floor at the left of the entrance is the ladies room, conveniently furnished, also ticket office and check room. At the right of the entrance is a large smoking and lounging room, also the quartermaster’s room. On the second floor three offices have been provided for the officers of the company and a large company room all thoroughly furnished. A modern kitchen with all necessary furnishing opens onto the balcony which affords sufficient room for serving refreshments.
The auditorium floor is 63 x 71 feet. A five foot corridor extends along the right side of the building which acts as a light court and convenient exit in case of fire. There are also several other fire exits.
The stage is equipped with five dressing rooms for ladies, two for gentlemen, all furnished, heated, lighted, and with hot and cold water.
In the basement provision has been made for lockers and sufficient steel lockers have been purchased to care for all the equipment of the militia. Wash rooms and shower bath rooms are also provided for the boys in the basement as well as sufficient storeroom for their supplies.
The public may be interested in the detail and figures connected with the building which are as follows:
Lots — $3,400
Heating Contract — $2.669
Plumbing Contract — $1,518
Electrical Work and Fixtures — $2,503
Scenery — $675
Chairs — $1,174.40
Furnishings — $1,737.36
Lockers — $421
Total — $36,652.76
The Council has endeavored to the best of their ability to carry out as near as possible the wishes of the majority of the public and while they realize that it is impossible to please all in every respect, they hope that their efforts will meet with the commendation of the citizens of this community.
Both structures are still serving the City of Eveleth. The Eveleth Fire Hall houses a volunteer fire department and a paid-on-call ambulance service. The Eveleth Auditorium is in the process of renovation and restoration. For more history and photos of the Auditorium, click here.
Reckless driving can be costly. But when you take into account that the average speed of a vehicle in 1917 was 10-15 miles per hour, one wonders how much damage could actually occur. Adjusting the fine to today’s costs this fine would be $1012.12 for the first offense, $2024.24 for the second. This was a significant increase in fines by Judge William Moylan from just one year earlier when the first speeder in Eveleth, Louis Rich, was warned that he would be serving time at the work farm without paying any fine for a second offense.
Driver Gets Heavy Fine
Matt Lake Assessed $100 for Second Appearance
on Charge of Reckless Driving
"A second offence for reckless driving enriched the city treasury just one hundred dollars when Matt Lake was brought before Judge Moylan last Thursday. Lake was arrested some time ago and the judge at that time assessed a fine of $50 and revoked his license to drive.
"After two weeks the judge permitted Lake to take charge of the car again with the result that he was again brought up before the court. For the second offence the fine was doubled and the license was again revoked."
--Eveleth News September 20, 1917
An important thing to remember when considering these hefty fines is the cost of the car itself. A new Ford Model T Touring Car cost $360 in 1917, making the fines equal to almost half the price of a new car!
Did you know that at one time the City of Eveleth had a zoo? By today’s standards it may not have been much to look at, but a pair of bears were added to the Eveleth City Zoo, located at the Ely Lake Park, in 1917 because the Army would not allow our soldiers from Company F of the Minnesota National Guard to bring them to camp as the soldiers were being prepared to head overseas to do their part during World War I.
"Mascots Were Left Behind"
Eveleth News, 1917
Company F of this city and Company M of Hibbing were forced to leave their mascots, a regimental order forbidding the transportation of any animals as mascots. The orders included all dogs and other animals.
The bears presented to the company by Judge William Moylan were turned back to the judge and have been placed at the Ely Lake Park, where they add considerable interest to the city zoo which up to this time had consisted only of a herd of deer.
Today, September 16, 2015, is the 20th anniversary of the dedication of “The Big Stick”. On that Saturday in 1995, the hockey world’s attention was focused on the City of Eveleth. Henry Boucha, James Claypool, and Ken Morrow were in Eveleth, along with an abundance of hockey dignitaries and fans, for the twenty-second U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremonies.
Along with the parade of hockey greats were local residents who took an idea and made it a reality. Louis Muhich had the “seed of an idea” during a meeting where the Eveleth Merchant’s Association was pondering the question “What does it take to encourage visitors to turn off the highway and come into Eveleth?” Among the ideas shared was the concept “What is more iconic of Hockeytown U.S.A. than a giant hockey puck?” After researching the idea and finding that in order to qualify for the record books the puck would have to be manufactured in the same way that a genuine hockey puck is created that idea was scrapped. In its place was birthed the idea of creating an giant, authentic hockey stick. And the rest, as they say, is history.
Bill, Roger, and Gordy Christian, with the help of Bill’s and Roger’s grandsons, created the original “Big Stick” using the same process that made Christian Brothers Hockey Sticks the premier hockey stick for hockey players around the world. Built of white and yellow aspen, the 107 foot stick had a finished weight of 7,000 pounds. Markings on the stick were exactly as they would be on any hockey players stick, right down to the Christian Brothers logo.
The then-vacant property at the corner of Grant Avenue and Monroe Street was selected as the location for the free-standing stick with an accompanying hockey puck. Although not qualifying for the record books, this built-to-scale hockey puck is 5 feet by 20 inches and weighs in a 700 pounds.
Artist Dave Meyer created the “Hockey’s Home” mural depicting a goalie and a defenseman from the mighty onslaught. At the time Jerry Pfremmer, on the board of directors for the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame, owned the Unusual Place. Located just opposite of the hockey plaza it offered the perfect canvas for this 30 foot high by 80 foot wide hockey mural.
Dedication day started with a Pancake Breakfast at the Elks Clubrooms, followed by the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Enshrinement Parade down Grant Avenue. The Dedication Ceremony with its unveiling of the ”The Big Stick” took over the downtown until it was time to move to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame for the actual enshrinement ceremony and banquet. That evening Billy D. & the Crystals and the Eveleth All Stars provided music for the dance held at the Eveleth Hippodrome. Festivities continued on Sunday afternoon by returning to the Hippodrome for a flea market. Also that afternoon at the baseball fields behind the Eveleth IGA was the Rumble on the Range Softball game. The weekend was capped off with a Barbeque at the Stick.
At times there have been discussions about moving the Big Stick up by the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame, especially when it needed replacing due to structural issues caused by weathering and mine blast vibration. Happily it stays in its home in downtown Eveleth, surrounded by Eveleth hockey history. During the summer of 2014 the City of Eveleth unveiled a new backdrop to compliment the Big Stick. Having the appearance of a tall hockey dasher, the walls of a hockey rink, the mural depicts the people and teams that made Eveleth hockey great through the ages.
Over the years arguments have flown back and forth between Eveleth and Canada as to who has the largest “Big Stick”. If we were discussing sheer size, then the vote would go to the 205-foot, Douglas fir reinforced with steel stick attached to the exterior of the Cowichan Community Centre, in Duncan on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. However, anyone from Eveleth can tell you that we are home to the largest free-standing, built-to-scale, authentic hockey stick.
The old A&W Root Beer Stand in Eveleth was opened in 1950 by Gordy and Marilyn Lundquist. Ten years later they opened Gordy’s Hi-Hat in Cloquet.
The root beer was brewed onsite and was served in those iconic frosted mugs by car-hops. Hand-patted hamburgers were made fresh and one of Eveleth’s local bakeries supplied uncut buns. A hamburger, french fries, and shake only cost 57 cents.